Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Life...or something like it

Hello everyone,

Sorry that I've been neglecting the blog lately. I need to share some pictures! Several Christmas gifts are done and I still owe you pictures of old FOs. Let's just say I've done:

A hat and scarf set for my friend Dave for Christmas
A hat and scarf for my Mom for Christmas
I finally sewed together the two halves of my Backyard Leaves, and have been wearing it often.

My boyfriend (who I live with) and I are discussing breaking up. Let's just say right now our parents aren't supportive of the relationship. There have been many, many cultural misunderstandings. My boyfriend is Chinese (born in Hong Kong). He's spent the last 12 years or so in the US. His mother just moved here to Seattle to cook for him to help him lose weight. Needless to say, now there's bad feelings all around. My parents only see him treating their little girl badly and my father has forbidden him from coming around to the house. His parents see me as a rude and ungrateful girl, and last night my boyfriend shared with me that his father feels that if we were to get married, he wouldn't attend the wedding. I don't want to get in between my boyfriend and his parents, and if he had to choose between a relationship with them and a relationship with me, I'd break up with him so he wouldn't sever ties with his parents. I've been using knitting as my therapy, and it's been helping thank goodness.

Culture and cultural misunderstandings are playing a KEY ROLE in this. Has anyone been in an interracial relationship and have any tips? Or just general tips for me to help mend things with his Chinese parents?

I'm starting a few shifts tonight, and promise pictures at the end of the week.

Thanks for understanding everyone.

1 comment:

anne said...

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I dated interracially/culturally for a few years and there were parts that were VERY difficult, like his family not acknowledging that I was even his girlfriend, for starters. It can be done, but an awful lot of variables have to be in place. Good luck figuring this out, and I'm glad knitting is helping!