Thursday, December 22, 2005

Top 5 for 2005 and 6 Resolutions for 2006

I've been seeing these posts around the knitblog universe, and I figured I'd put my goals up here. That way I have some clear goals for 2006 (and you all can give me grief next year if I don't finish them!). :)

Top 5 for 2005

1. Socks on 2 Circulars
Not only did I get into sock knitting this year by joining Sockapal-2-za, but I learned to use the 2 circular method. I find myself knitting faster using the 2 circular technique. I think I'd like to try the Magic Loop soon to see how that differs. I need to find myself a book or a class to teach me. I also can't wait for round 3 of the Sockapalooza!

2. Handpainted sock yarn.
Oh, dear, I have found the ultimate indulgence. Handpainted sock yarn. I've become a good customer of both Dani at Knitting Sunshine (Gryffindor, prism, and candy cane colorways anyone?) and Sweet Georgia's Sweet Shop (Slayer, Fondant, and Firefly colorways). I've bought many, many skeins from the two of them. An informal goal for next year is to make socks out of most of these skeins (that way I can get MORE!) :)

3. Cabling
Before this year, I (for some CRAZY reason) thought cabling was more complicated than it really was, and was intimidated to try it. My first cabling project was my Sockapal-2-za socks. I thought I was crazy when I thought--hey, my first real sock project, and my first cabling project--let me make socks for someone else! :) I used the rib and cable sock pattern from the fall Interweave Knits. They turned out beautiful, as I used a blue variegated Koigu. I'm gong to dig around the files on the 'puter to see if I can find my picture of the socks.

4. Cabling without a cable needle
After I got the socks out of the way, I fell in love with cabling! I decided I wanted to make my Mom a sweater. I showed her a few patterns, and she narrowed it down to Rogue and Mariah. Mariah seemed a little easier, so I decided to make that for my Mom for Christmas. I went to Grumperina's site and read her tutorial about cabling without a cable needle.

5. Sending away for TKGA Master Knitter Level 1
I was inspired by Felicia at Sweet Georgia to do this. I looked at her progress pictures and decided that this would be a good way to increase my knitting knowledge. One of my dreams is to have my own yarn store, and I figured that if I ever did that, I'd be able to do so confidently. I've completed one swatch, and have started another. I figure that this will be a long term project.

6 Resolutions for 2006

1. Finish my Mom's Mariah and my Dad's Professor vest, STAT!
These were SUPPOSED to be Christmas gifts... I think I was a little ambitious. I'm thinking that I'll finish up my Mom's Mariah, and give it to her when it's done, and then making my Dad's vest for Father's Day

2. Learn how to spin using a drop spindle
I've asked for a drop spindle for Christmas. A Cascade Spindle Mt. Shuksan. I'm hoping to learn and not get too addicted. :)

3. Finish my TKGA Master Knitter Level 1
I'd like to do this before the summer.

4. Use up at least 20% of my yarn stash
I've become a collector of yarn. Maybe one day I'll get brave enough to show you my stash. I think I'll just start out with just the sock yarn stash.

5. Finish all current WIPs
This includes the Professor Vest, Mariah, some socks for a coworker, a pair of Jaywalkers, a mate for my Firefly sock a mohair sweater (Cosmopolitan from Jo Sharp) in some yarn I got from Tokyo, and a turtleneck shrug. Wow, I didn't realize how many WIPs I had!

6. Start Christmas knitting earlier, like starting on Jan 1, 2006!
I'm thinking Rogue for my Mom. I'll have to look into cardigan vs pullover and see what she prefers.

No comments: