Sunday, July 30, 2006

Ah, to be back with my broadband internet. :) I love staying with my mom at her house, but I do get a bit of the withdrawls from my surfing of knitting blogs. :) Lots of things to report, so will try to post once a day until I go back to work on Wednesday.

Versailles socks are still chugging along. Now that the heat has broken, I've been able to knit with wool again. I must look into purchasing an AC (during a time that's not summer when they jack the prices up). I've been avoiding spinning and knitting because it's been so darn hot!


The socks should be done way before I get on the plane at 6:30 am on the 24th. Speaking of flying, after looking at the TSA's website, I may not want to bring my beloved Addi Turbos, as they may be confiscated for being a "weapon." (Only to create some kick ass socks if you ask me, but I may be biased) Any suggestions for alternates? I've grown to love circular knitting. Maybe I'll get a pair of the Knitpicks circular needles, or the DPNs. That way, if they decide to take them away, it's only $5 lost. Is the fact that I haven't thought about what clothes to pack, but have been debating about what YARN to pack for the trip evidence of my obsession with yarn? I have a 5 hour flight to Philadelphia, with a 3.5 hour layover, then an 8 hour flight to Paris. That's 16 hours of knitting time just one way! w00t!


Weaving class continues. We finally have moved away from the cotton practice warp, and homework this week was to warp our loom with some Shetland Wool, choose a pattern from the homework sheet, and weave it. After we're complete with that, we'll be doing different finishing techniques to it. I'm trying to finish by Tuesday so I can borrow a friend's sewing machine to sew it before I cut (!) it in pieces. I'm looking forward to staring a "real" project. I've decided to make either a scarf or shawl for my Mom. It will be out of cotton, as she's probably going to Florida, and won't need a wool scarf there. :)

I'm very proud of myself that I was able to remember how to set up the loom, and here's my bit of progress before going to Seattle's Torchlight Parade last night.


I had a bit of a snafu when I realized that I had two warp ends less than what I needed. Thankfully in my sleep deprived haze (I had to go to class after a night shift--the class is from 9:30-12) I had remembered to get some extra yarn in case there was breakage. I had enough to make the two 1-yard warp ends.

Then, Saturday morning, I finished up my beginning spinning class. In hindsight, I didn't really learn that much more than what I had already figured out on my own. I did get to play with a new toy:


Hand carders!



I got to play with them for the first time in class. I have to admit, that before this class, I was not interested in hand carding or preparing raw wool. But after getting a chance to play with these (and spin from my rolags) I am ready! I'm planning on purchasing small amounts of raw fleece until September, when I may get to go to the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival. If I do, I'll get a fleece then. :) I ended up getting the leather handcarders.

When I got home, I was inspired to spin up a bit of my Superwash Merino in the Mustang Sally colorway from Crown Mountain Farms. Here's my progress so far.



Hopefully tonight, I'll be able to ply it. And you'll get to see how my wheel is now TRULY my wheel. :) Will explain later.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Have a great trip to Paris! I'd go with wood/bamboo needles, just to be on the safe side. I've not had any problem flying with them in the US, or from the US to Europe. However, check with the airport in Paris before you try to carry them on when you come back. Leaving from the UK you aren't allowed to carry on knitting needles of any type (let me tell you, that was a long flight from London to Seattle with a five-hour layover and NO KNITTING).
Your spinning looks great, I love the colors!

Stacy Silver Clow said...

Hi there. I was looking at your blog. Nice place you have here!

Anyway, the reason I am bothering you with my note is because I was wondering if you could help me with my new loom and a couple of questions I have? I took a weaving course about three years ago and now that I have my own loom I can't remember some of what I learned. My question is about preparing the hettles. I am too eager to wait! I really want to get started and can't seem to find the help I need!

I would so appreciate hearing back from you.

Stacy Clow
alittlemother@hotmail.com
Ontario, Canada