Monday, July 31, 2006

Sock Yarn!

So I've been working on this superwash Merino from Crown Mountain Farms in the Mustang Sally Colorway. I've spent the last few days spinning it into thin singles.

I finally got two bobbins full last night.

Now, before I go any further, I'll explain to you something about me. I'm never EVER going to be a Martha Stewart or a fabulous decorator or anything like that. It's not because I don't want to be, it's because I always have something go slightly off, making it mine. For example, growing up, we never had the perfect Christmas tree. It always had a crooked trunk, tipped over at least once, and usually got tied to the wall. That's what made it OUR family tree. So it should have come as no surprise that my beautiful wheel would turn out the same. :)

Meet my new plying head. :)


When I went to the Weaving Works to buy one, the only one they had in stock was the special edition one made of Walnut. I was told that the next time they'd have one in stock would me MONTHS away. I decided to get it anyway. Heck, it does the exact same thing! :)


Look how balanced the skein is! Barely any twist! (Sorry I forgot to rotate the picture!)


And here it is soaking in the sink to set the twist.



I ended up with about 360 yards in this skein. I still have roving left over, which I'll spin and have a second (smaller) skein. Then I'll make socks out of my own HANDSPUN! w00t!

1 comment:

hookinmama said...

I love, love, love the yarn. Pink is my favorite color, is it more pink or red? It looks kinda pink in the pic. Beautiful!