Thursday, March 22, 2007

Puffy Review

Sorry for the mirror shot--will try to get a better one tomorrow without my pjs! :)


Pattern: Puff Sleeved Feminine Cardigan, Fitted Knits
Yarn: Universal Yarn, Inc. Eden Silk (wool/silk blend)
Needles: US6 for sweater, US4 for button bands.

Here she is. I'm happy, but sad at the same time with the sweater. LOVE the color. LOVE the buttons. LOVE the design

This sweater was a battle. It should have been a quick knit, but I had lots of troubles with it!

Here's what I don't like about the sweater-- The button bands--the buttonholes need reinforcement, so they don't stretch so much and gap. And the yarn--when I ripped it out and restarted knitting with the ripped yarn, there's such a difference in the end appearance!! You can see it! ARGH! I'm not so sure I can live with that. :-/

Mods to the sweater:

-Discovered error in the pattern in regards to the number of sts to cast on.
-More increases to the raglan line to make enough room for my bust
-Lengthened the sweater 3 inches
-I also had to MacGyver the sleeves. When I discovered that my arms weren't sticks, I knitted small triangles for the armpits. This way I could comfortably wear the sweater without cutting off circulation.

I had to rip out twice--once to add more increases, and second when I tried on my completed sweater and discovered the bottom of the sweater ended at my WAIST!


So, here are a few questions for you all reading this--

1. Any ideas what I can do to 'wear' the yarn so it will all look consistent? I don't want a band around my bust and my hips!

2. Any ideas on how to reinforce the buttonholes? (My thought is to redo the button bands with doubled yarn.) Any other ideas?? Another idea is to add more buttons. I have THREE extra ones.

I'll probably be knitting this again in the fall with a "fall" yarn. :) I guess this means I'll have to transfer my Post-It notes into real pattern notes!

Please give me input!! THANK YOU!

7 comments:

AmyInSeattle said...

Have you wet the yarn? That should get it all to go back into shape and look the same. In other words...blocking.

As far as the button holes, you might try taking some yarn on a sewing type needle and going around the opening - almost like a really tight whip stitch. I did that for a baby sweater to make the button holes stay open and make them more visable for the mom.

Karen said...

I admire you for sticking to it after all the issues you dscovered while knitting it. I think it looks great!

stitchywitch said...

Wow, that's weird about the yarn! In spite of that, it's really cute on you. I can't imagine how short it would have been without extra length, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

goodkarma said...

Once again, the color you chose is so pretty! It sounds like you made just the right modifications to make this sweater your own. Way to problem solve!

Re: the buttons and buttonband, for future cardigans you might try stitching a grosgrain ribbon facing to the back of the button band. That will make it non-stretchy and more sturdy.

Liz said...

I agree with amyinseattle about wetting the yarn. I once frogged an alpaca sweater that I'd already blocked and reknit using the curly yarn... I had a noticeable boucle effect. After a nice bath (I used shampoo) the difference was gone.

I know nothing about button holes, though. Good luck!

knittingnurse said...

Oh my goodness. You just do such beautiful (and FAST) work. I too think that the yarn may yield once you wash and block the sweater. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

As far as the button bands go, I say, if you love the buttons and have extras, add them in.

Bryony said...

I just found you while searching for Puff Sleeved cardi on Google, in the hope of finding someone who has the same kind of bust issues I have, and I have to say, your cardi is lovely. You may have had issues with it, but it is a fab piece of work, and your perseverance was worth it :)